August 8, 2019
Job Title: Accountant
Position Type: Full time (Temp to Perm after 60 days)
Background: The National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) is a high-impact national nonprofit veterans service organization based in Washington DC. Established in 1981, NVLSP's mission is to ensure that the government delivers to our nation’s 22 million veterans and active duty personnel the benefits to which they are entitled due to the disabilities that resulted from their military service. To this end, NVLSP and its attorneys provide free legal representation to veterans and surviving family members before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) and other federal courts, the Board of Veterans' Appeals, and VA regional offices. NVLSP often serves as amicus or lead counsel in impact litigation throughout the United States. NVLSP’s impact litigation alone has resulted in payment of more than $5.2 billion in benefits to more than 100,000 veterans and their survivors. In addition, NVLSP trains hundreds of other lawyer and non-lawyer advocates in veterans/military law and publishes advocacy materials to assist these advocates in their representation of veterans, service members, and their families including the nation's first veterans law treatise, the Veterans Benefits Manual. NVLSP annually updates the 2,200- page Veterans Benefits Manual.
Responsibilities: NVLSP is looking for an experienced accountant to join a busy accounting department.
Duties will include:
• Preparing vendor payment requisitions
• Reviewing and reconciling detailed expense reports
• Reconciling general ledger accounts
• Inputting data and compiling various financial reports
• Maintaining various tracking systems and files
• Responding to vendor inquires
• Creating and maintaining complex Excel worksheets
• Inputting information and updating the Human Resources Information System
• Performing administrative support tasks
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years of accounting experience (non-profit preferred)
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Proficient in Sage MAS 100, a plus
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Good communication skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
Opening/Closing Date: Available immediately; closes when filled.
Salary and Benefits: NVLSP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits program, with health insurance provided at no cost to employee. A retirement plan is also offered.
Applications: A cover letter, resume, and a list of references should be e-mailed to: Personnel @nvlsp.org and the subject line should be Accountant.
All applications will be reviewed in confidence.
NVLSP is an equal opportunity employer.