Novermber 12, 2020
Job Title: Intake Specialist
Position Type: Full Time
Background: The National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) is a high-impact national veterans service organization based in Washington DC. Our mission is to ensure that the government delivers to our nation’s 22 million veterans and active duty personnel the benefits to which they are entitled due to the disabilities that resulted from their military service. NVLSP’s Lawyers Serving Warriors® (“LSW”) program provides free legal representation, through a nationwide pro bono network of private law firms and corporate legal departments, to disabled active duty personnel and veterans and their families. LSW assists veterans with challenges to VA denials of service-connection for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder due to military sexual trauma and with applications for discharge upgrades, medical retirement, and Combat-Related Special Compensation.
Responsibilities: NVLSP seeks a full-time intake specialist to serve as the initial contact between veterans and NVLSP attorneys. The intake specialist is responsible for the following: determining program eligibility; sending out intake packets; meticulously maintaining the client database; reviewing submitted client documentation; requesting VA and military records via the Privacy Act; providing status updates; scanning, combining, and uploading client records and documentation; maintaining and organizing physical client files; updating various spreadsheets and data collection; and working closely with the LSW team attorneys.
The successful candidate will have exceptional organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple deadline-driven tasks while maintaining a professional and pleasant demeanor.
• Bachelor’s Degree or Paralegal Certificate from accredited institution or program
• 2 to 5 years paralegal experience
• Excellent proofreading and writing skills
• Experience with client contact via phone and email
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat
• Ability to maintain records of ongoing matters in paper and electronically
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously under constant deadlines
• Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills
• Experience with veterans law, disability law, and/or military service appreciated
Opening/Closing Date: Available immediately; closes when filled. NVLSP has a generous benefits program, with health and pension benefits provided.
Applications: A cover letter, resume and list of three references should be e-mailed to Rochelle Bobroff, Director of Pro Bono, at Rochelle@nvlsp.org. All applications will be reviewed in confidence.
NVLSP is an equal opportunity employer.