October 12, 2018
Job Title: Litigation Paralegal
Position Type: Full-time
Background: The National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) is a national nonprofit public interest law firm founded in 1980 and recognized by the VA as a veterans service organization for purposes of representing VA claimants. NVLSP’s mission is to help ensure that veterans, service members, and their families receive the federal benefits to which they are entitled. To this end, NVLSP and its staff of 25 attorneys annually provide free legal representation to hundreds of veterans and surviving family members before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and other federal courts, the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, VA regional offices, and military review boards. NVLSP often serves as amicus or lead counsel in impact litigation throughout the United States. In addition, NVLSP annually trains hundreds of lawyer and non-lawyer advocates in veterans law and publishes advocacy materials to assist advocates in their representation of veterans, service members, and their families. Among NVLSP’s advocacy publications is The Veterans Benefits Manual, the annually- revised, 2,200-page veterans’ law treatise published by LexisNexis.
Responsibilities: NVLSP is looking for a full-time paralegal to support its growing litigation team. The successful candidate will have exceptional organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple deadline-driven tasks while maintaining a professional and pleasant demeanor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least two years of experience as a paralegal or executive secretary with paralegal responsibilities
- Proficiency with Bluebook citation, cite checking, and compilation of Table of Authorities
- Excellent proofreading and writing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with drafting simple procedural motions and correspondence
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously under constant deadlines
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills
Familiarity with major legal research databases a plus
Opening/Closing Date: Available immediately; closes when filled. NVLSP has a generous benefits program, with health and pension benefits provided.
Applications: A resume, salary requirements, and a list of three references should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of PARALEGAL.
All applications will be reviewed in confidence. NVLSP is an equal opportunity employer.