November 20, 2020
Job Title: Legal Office Assistant
Position Type: Part-Time
The National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) is a high-impact national veterans service organization based in Washington DC. Established in 1981, NVLSP’s mission is to ensure that the government delivers to our nation’s 22 million veterans and active duty personnel the benefits to which they are entitled due to the disabilities that resulted from their military service. To this end, NVLSP and its attorneys provide free legal representation to veterans and surviving family members before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) and other federal courts, the Board of Veterans' Appeals, and VA regional offices. NVLSP often serves as amicus or lead counsel in impact litigation throughout the United States. NVLSP’s impact litigation alone has resulted in payment of more than $5.2 billion in benefits to more than 100,000 veterans and their survivors. In addition, NVLSP trains hundreds of other lawyer and non-lawyer advocates in veterans/military law and publishes advocacy materials to assist these advocates in their representation of veterans, service members, and their families. NVLSP wrote the book on veterans law, The Veterans Benefits Manual, the nation's first veterans law treatise.
NVLSP seeks a Part-time Legal Office Assistant to help our Office Manager with a number of administrative tasks. The Legal Office Assistant is responsible for the following tasks: staffing the office front desk to admit visitors, managing office supply inventory & restocking, sorting incoming mail, copying and sorting court decisions, scanning mail to employees, uploading CD-ROMs to our case management system, finalizing letters to be mailed out to clients and courts, taking mail to the post office, preparing invoice vouchers, logging incoming checks, helping with timesheet management.
The Legal Office Assistant will also provide administrative support to our Department of Training and Publications by the Training Coordinator manage customer service inquiries via email and telephone, create invoices for special orders and track sales, coordinate with web developers to ensure course continues operating correctly and update the content of course on website with material provided by supervisor.
The successful candidate must have exceptional organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple deadline-driven tasks while maintaining a professional and pleasant demeanor. The ideal candidate takes job attendance seriously and understands that adherence to deadlines is of the utmost importance and cannot be compromised. This position is ideal for a high school graduate or current college student seeking no more than 29 hours per week.
This is an essential business position and requires the employee to be in the office. Remote working is not permitted. The schedule is Monday through Thursday from 9am until 4:30pm with a 30 minute lunch break.
• Minimum of a High School Diploma – Associate’s Degree preferred.
• Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
• Ability to deliver letters and small packages to the Post Office for mailing year around
• Ability to operate scanners and copiers and troubleshoot minor issues
• Excellent proofreading and writing skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat and ability to quickly learn other software platforms
• Ability to maintain records of ongoing matters in paper and electronically
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously under constant deadlines
• Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills
• Must be able to speak clearly and concisely with callers, visitors and vendors in person and on the phone.
• Experience with WordPress website software is preferred.
Opening/Closing Date: Available immediately; closes when filled.
Salary: $15.50 per hour
Applications: A cover letter, resume and list of three references should be submitted to the Deputy Executive Director Paul Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be reviewed in confidence. NVLSP is an equal opportunity employer.