Request Assistance with Discharge Upgrades for Veterans from All Eras

National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) has a  program to provide free legal representation to veterans who were involuntarily separated from the military and received a less than honorable discharge.

1. What is the nature of this problem?

Due to the nature of their military service, many service members are afflicted with mental conditions that contribute to misconduct resulting in a discharge with a less than honorable characterization of service.  Nearly 900,000 veterans have received a discharge under Other Than Honorable Conditions (OTH) since the World War II era. 

2. How can a less than honorable discharge affect me?

A less than honorable discharge may prevent you from receiving VA benefits and health care, hurt your employment opportunities, and damage your reputation and self-esteem.

3. How does NVLSP’s Lawyers Serving Warriors® program assist veterans with discharge upgrades?

Our pro bono program will provide eligible veterans free representation before military Discharge Review Boards and Boards for Correction of Military Records.  Our expert assistance includes the drafting of a brief in support of an application to either a DRB or BCMR and/or appearing before the board to present the case at live hearing.

4. Who is eligible for assistance with a BCMR application through NVLSP’s Lawyers Serving Warriors® program?

All veterans who suffered from a mental disorder (such as PTSD or depression) in service that contributed to misconduct that resulted in an administrative separation with a discharge under Other Than Honorable Conditions (OTH). 

5. How do I request legal assistance from NVLSP's Lawyers Serving Warriors® program?

Click here to provide us with your contact information so we can screen your case for eligibility

If you qualify, we will provide you an application form to complete and return to us along with a copy of your discharge certificate (DD Form 214), if you have a copy available.

If you don't recall what your DD Form 214 looks like, you can see a redacted DD Form 214 here.

6. How do I obtain a copy of my DD Form 214?

If you do not have a copy of your DD Form 214, follow the instructions to request a copy from the National Archives.

What We Do

Subscribe to our newsletter
Newsletter Archives