ASSISTANCE WITH APPLICATIONS TO BOARDS FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS (BCMRS) TO OBT AIN A DISABILITY RETIREMENT National Veterans Legal Services Program has started a new program to provide free legal representation at the Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR) to veterans wrongfully separated from the military with or without proper medical disability system processing, resulting in the denial of a medical retirement and the benefits it confers. 1. Who is eligible for assistance with a BCMR application through NVLSP’s Lawyers Serving Warriors® program? Any veteran who received medical disability processing (Medical Evaluation Board /Physical Evaluation Board) that provided a combined disability rating of 20% or less and any veteran who was completely denied medical disability processing. 2. What is a Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR)? Each military service branch has a BCMR that serves as the highest level of administrative review within the branch to correct errors or remove injustices from military records. The Navy’s board is called the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR) and processes applications from both current and former Sailors and Marines. 3. How can a BCMR decision assist me? A BCMR’s authority to correct military records includes the ability to medically retire a veteran who was administratively separated from the military if it can be demonstrated that the veteran was suffering from one or more mental and/or physical conditions that made the veteran unfit to perform his/her military duties. 4. How do I request legal assistance from NVLSP's Lawyers Serving Warriors® program? Click here to provide us with your contact information so we can screen your case for eligibility Click here to fill out an application for assistance and return to NVLSP with s copy of your discharge certificate (DD Form 214), if you have a copy available. If you don't recall what your DD Form 214 looks like, you can see a redacted DD Form 214 here. 5. How do I obtain a copy of my DD Form 214? If you do not have a copy of your DD Form 214, follow the instructions to request a copy from the National Archives.

What We Do

Subscribe to our newsletter
Newsletter Archives